Friday, February 19, 2010

Lemon Coconut Bars


I made these delicious bars yesterday as a thank you give to the nurses and secretaries at my last clerkship location. They were a hit. I adapted a recipe I found on Epicurious to make them a little more user friendly.

Crust:
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup flour

Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
juice from 1 large lemon
zest from 1 large lemon
1 teaspoon flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Powdered sugar to sprinkle on top

Blend crust ingredients in food processor until a crumbly dough forms. Press into a 8x8 inch pan lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes until golden.

Whisk filling ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Pour over the crust and bake 30 more minutes at 350 degrees F until puffy. It should just spring back when you press down on it. Use the foil to lift it quickly out of the pan onto a cooling rack. Once cool, sift powdered sugar on top and cut into bars.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Teri. I've baked Lemon Coconut Bars two ganger.først to Grethe aunt, uncle Tjøstel, Granny and Egi. The conclusion was unanimous: wicked good :-) Egil he ate the remains the next day and said they were "sabla" good.
    The second time I had the club with "The grape" and they also thought they were good, maybe a little mektige.Jeg served together with ice and it was a great set up projection.
    The fresh and the sweet ice.
    They are highly recommended :o) Klem fra svigemor.

    ReplyDelete